Thursday, December 18, 2008

Ice Hockey aka Ice Boxing


Did you know that ice hockey is a very treacherous sport? Not only is there the distinct possibility that you might get one of your facial features sliced off by a skate blade or a hockey stick, but you also run the risk of being beaten to a pulp by one of your opponents - in full view of the spectators AND referees. I discovered this fact on Saturday at a game between the Silvertips and the Cougars up in Everett. Apparently, as long as gloves and helmets are removed - players are allowed to brawl (and when I say brawl, I mean full on boxing fists, blood on the ice, flesh-to-bone contact) UNTIL one or both hits the deck. Amazing. Had I not seen it with my own (delicate and naive) eyes, I wouldnt have believed it. Thankfully, we were sitting far enough away, that I neither suffered any permanent psychological damage, nor ran the risk of inhaling a puck.
See what a deprived childhood one has living on an island with a temperate climate. Although I guess we always have rugby to feed our violent voyeuristic natures!

No comments: